My experience includes: leadership, product design, software development, interface design, product management, branding, corporate identity, graphic design, illustration, and photography. I am currently involved in the area of machine intelligence, developing methods to make it more usable and intuitive.
Principal at fohldesign
April 2013 – Present
Upon graduating from GTxcel, I made a return to contracting. During this round, I became heavily involved in developing Single Page Apps. My largest client to date has been Information Governance Solutions, for whom I built a web application called Virgo. Virgo is built using AngularJS, Node, Express, and the Information Governance Solutions REST API. I have also been spending my spare time participating in various open source projects surrounding the work of Numenta, and their open source machine intelligence platform, NuPIC.
Creative Director at GTxcel (née Godengo)
January 2005 – April 2013 (Employee #1)
As Creative Director, I was involved in developing one of the core product offerings of GTxcel - Rivista - a Web-based content management system, as well as overseeing custom implementations of this product. As an early employee, I was involved with many aspects of the enterprise beyond software design and development, including business development, investor relations, marketing, and sales.
- Technical, creative, and team lead of Rivista 5 product. Rivista 5 allows magazine publishers to create a single website that will work beautifully on any device, from an iPhone to a desktop computer, through the use of responsive design techniques.
- Oversaw the design of over 50 custom websites, as well as standardized themes used in the implementation of over 200 magazine websites, managed by our own content management system product called Rivista.
- Key contributor on the development team for Rivista, a PHP-based Content Management System for professional publishers.
- Participated in an Agile-based software development team.
- Drafted technical specifications for Rivista.
- Product managed key aspects of Rivista.
- Drafted and implemented use cases and quality assurance testing for the Rivista product.
- Drafted year-long product road map.
- Supervised and implemented online advertising creative campaigns.
- Designed and developed all company branding, website, and printed promotional materials.
- Assisted in search for and the development of relationships with venture capital firms for initial company funding.
- Attended industry events evangelizing and selling company products and services.
Principal at fohldesign
March 1995 – January 2005
I started this design firm to address the emerging need for quality design on the World Wide Web in 1995. The firm came to specialize in developing interactive online marketing solutions that closely matched the brand and business of goals of our clients. Design clients included: Rainfinity, Envive, Taos, Mondo Media, Meyer Cookware, Intuit, Verio, Sun Microsystems, and Seagram. In addition to design work, during this period I also produced illustrations for publications such as Fast Company, Red Herring, PC Magazine, Chicago Tribune, Washington Post, Games Business Magazine and others.
- Designed and built the very first websites for many Bay Area companies including Meyer Cookware, Envive, PlasmaSeal, and Hanuman Medical.
- Designed interfaces for Intuit's Quicken Deluxe CD-ROM for Macintosh.
- Designed and implemented branding concept and interface designs for Verio's public facing e-commerce website.
- Managed the hiring of contractors as needed to complete larger website projects.
Artist at Mondo Media
February 1994 – March 1996
Produced a wide variety of entertainment and corporate design for this large interactive agency. This included interface design, illustration, video editing, CD-ROM development, animation, and programming.
- Managed a team which designed and implemented Intuit's Quicken Deluxe for Windows CD-ROM.
- Produced character animations for Microsoft Expedia.
- Designed CD-ROM interfaces for clients such as Compaq, Sun Microsystems, and Microsoft.
Production Artist at Red Hill Studios
January 1993 – February 1994
Worked as a contract designer to develop kiosk and CD-ROM based multi-media for this small but innovative multi-media design firm.
- Produced animations and video for "Exploring Time" multi-media kiosk installed at the Exploratorium in San Francisco.
- Produced interfaces and video for "Shoot Video Like a Pro" CD-ROM.
Illustrator at George Coates Performance Works
February 1993 – August 1993
Illustrated conceptual scenes and sets for the highly experimental, multi-media theater group.
- Experienced with AngularJS, Node.js, Express.js (sometimes referred to as the MEAN stack)
- PHP 5 Zend Certified Engineer
- Experienced with the LAMP stack (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP)
- Agile software development processes
- Version control systems including git and svn
- Fluent in Adobe Creative Suite
- Illustration and graphic design in multiple mediums
- Photography and videography
- Rhode Island School of Design. 1988-1991. Bachelor of Fine Arts in Illustration.
- Connecticut College. 1985-1987. Majored in Physics before transferring to the Rhode Island School of Design.
- Sea Education Association. Fall Semester, 1987. Semester dedicated to studying Oceanography - in the classroom and at sea.
References available upon request